Newark was the first major airport in the metropolitan area, opening on October 1, 1928. The airport was built on 68 acres of marshland by the City of Newark and quickly became the world's busiest commercial airport. During World War II, it was operated by the Army Air Corps.
After the Port Authority took over the airport in 1948, the agency immediately began making major improvements. It added an instrument runway, a terminal building, a control tower and an air cargo center. It built the Central Terminal Area, Port Authority Administration Building, the Central Heating and Refrigeration Plant, and taxiways and roadways. All of which opened in the early 1970s. In 1989, a two-building maintenance complex opened as well.
In the 1990s, even more improvements were added. In 1996, the International Arrivals Facility opened in Terminal B and the Monorail (now AirTrain Newark) was launched. In 2003, a 325-foot control tower was commissioned, the fourth in the airport’s history.
The improvements continue today, with Newark Liberty on the forefront of the campaign for NextGen technology and so much more.