Engineering & Architecture Associates Program
About the Program
- The Engineering and Architecture Associate Program is a two -year commitment
- Associates spend the first year rotating to several different Port Authority facilities in the construction or design discipline (list of the program disciples is below)
- Rotations are spent completing a series of work assignments on large- and small-scale projects involving different fields of engineering (construction)and architecture(design)
- Associates spend the second year of the program in their permanent position
- Port Authority Engineers and Architects are responsible for providing services in preparation for engineering studies, preliminary designs, final contract drawings, and construction projects.
- Associates have numerous educational opportunities, training, mentoring programs, and frequent opportunities to work alongside senior management.
- The experience of working on a variety of projects in either discipline will help you develop your professional credentials while giving you the opportunity to see "the big picture" of transportation infrastructure.
The Architecture (Design) discipline provides high quality and cost-effective engineering and architectural design services in a timely manner and in conformance with applicable codes, regulations, and Port Authority technical standards to deliver the Capital and Operating Programs to our client departments.
Construction Management discipline dedicates construction and contract management expertise to provide assurance that construction contracts are completed in accordance with contract specifications, budgets, and schedules in a safe and secure manner. Coordinates multiple contracts within Port Authority Line Department facilities to minimize operational impacts that may compromise customer service
- Architects are involved in a wide array of specialties, including urban planning, building design, site planning, landscape design, graphic design, and sustainable design. Applicants must have a bachelor's or master's degree in Architecture.
- Landscape Architects perform site assessments and vegetation inventories and provide landscape criteria and designs for transportation, urban plazas and streetscapes, green infrastructure, wetlands and brown fields.
- Civil Engineer develops design solutions related to alignment, grading, drainage, and water and sanitary utilities for Port Authority roadways and airfields. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- Electrical/Power Engineers design electrical installations including power, lighting, and fire alarm systems at all Port Authority facilities. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Environmental Engineers conduct environmental assessments, site investigations, and compliance audits. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Chemical Engineering.
- Geotechnical Engineers design, shallow spread footing and mat foundations, deep foundations on driven piles, drilled caissons, and drilled mini-piles, sheet pile walls for bulkheads and temporary support of excavations, retaining walls, flood protection walls, slope stability analyses, and surcharge designs for soft ground conditions. Applicants must have a Masters Degree in Geotechnical Engineering.
- Material Engineers perform quality acceptance testing and inspection of construction materials during the construction phase of projects and provides recommendations for material selections and specifications during the design phase of projects. Condition surveys and testing of new material technologies are also part of this unit's scope of responsibilities. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Civil, Environmental or Structural Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineers design plumbing, fire protection, HVAC, and central heating and refrigeration systems at Port Authority facilities. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Structural Engineers inspect and assess existing structures, as well as design new structures including buildings, roadways, bridges, and piers. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- Traffic Engineers assist in the management of safe and reliable vehicular and pedestrian traffic at all Port Authority facilities. They are responsible for transportation planning, safety studies, design projects, and maintenance of traffic during roadway construction projects while providing day-to-day operations support and implementing intelligent transportation system technology. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering.
- Students graduating or students who have recently graduated within the last year with a bachelors or masters degree in an Architecture or Engineering discipline.
- Candidates must have a clear interest in public service management and possess a record of academic achievement
- Candidates are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
How to Apply
We begin recruiting for the Engineering Associates program in mid-September and our application deadline is usually in early November. Late applications are not accepted. First-round and second round interviews take place in December and we make offers in late January. This timeline is subject to change.
To apply, please visit www.JointhePortAuthority.com and click on the "apply online" link on the upper right hand side of the page.
About the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority offers a competitive compensation and benefits program including health, dental, life insurance, vacation, holidays and tuition assistance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This solicitation is not a guarantee of employment. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
This solicitation is not a guarantee of employment. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.