The Port Authority of NY & NJ Leadership Fellows Program
About the Program
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s Leadership Fellows Program is a distinguished program for graduate students who expect to receive their degree in upcoming Fall or Spring semester.
- The Leadership Fellows Program is a two-year rotational program that offers on-the-job experience in approximately four different business functions ranging from finance and planning to operations and human resources, designed to build a strong foundation of business acumen, adaptability, and knowledge of Port Authority operations.
- Rotational assignments are coupled with an agency orientation and developmental opportunities to ensure a valuable experience.
- The breadth and depth of these experiences are critical in preparing Leadership Fellows to be future leaders within the agency.
- Past Leadership Fellows have contributed to key regional capital programs, learned the nuts and bolts of policy development, and managed the challenges of daily operations at our transportation facilities.
- After successful completion of the program, Leadership Fellows will be considered for key positions in areas such as policy analysis, finance, capital programs, or related business functions.
- Leadership Fellows are required to have their graduate degree by program start date
- Leadership Fellows are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
- The selection process for the Program is highly rigorous and consists of multiple rounds of interviews, including a qualitative interview, a competency-based panel interview, and multiple assessment exercises.
Candidates should possess a record of academic achievement in the areas of public administration, business administration, public policy, urban planning, public finance, economics, transportation management, or a related discipline.
- Candidates must have a clear interest in a career in public service management
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent problem solving, analytical, quantitative, written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation and political acumen.
- Candidates must be flexible and enthusiastic about experiencing all the Port Authority has to offer, including areas that are not necessarily aligned with their professional backgrounds.
- At least two years of work experience and/or internships in public service, transportation, government, or related fields is preferred
How to Apply
We begin recruiting for the Leadership Fellows program in mid-September and our application deadline is usually in mid-November. Late applications are not accepted. First-round and second round interviews take place in January and February and we make offers in March. Each new Leadership Fellows cohort begins in July. This timeline is subject to change.
To apply, please visit www.JointhePortAuthority.com and click on the "apply online" link on the upper right hand side of the page.
About the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive compensation and benefits program including health, dental, life insurance, vacation, holidays and tuition assistance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This solicitation is not a guarantee of employment. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
This solicitation is not a guarantee of employment. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.