Employee Overtime Performance — 2nd Quarter 2015
2015 SECOND QUARTER AGENCY OVERTIME HIGHLIGHTS
- Through the second quarter, Agency core overtime hours performance was 9% better than in 2014.
- Through the second quarter, the civilian staff of the Agency performed better than plan with regards to core overtime hours. Core overtime includes recurring operational, maintenance, construction, security and other emergency workload and excludes snow and ice hours.
- Police staff, including the Office of Inspector General Police Integrity Unit and the Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) cadre, was over plan. Heightened security activities, higher than anticipated attrition and lower than anticipated productivity due to unplanned absences continued to impact overall police and ARFF overtime performance.
- In total, the Agency worked one million overtime hours through the second quarter. Total overtime expenses were $110 million, which is 17% of total labor expenses and $10 million over plan. The net impact after recoveries through flight fees, grants and other reimbursements is approximately $2 million.
2015 SECOND QUARTER CIVILIAN OVERTIME PERFORMANCE
- Through the second quarter, Police incurred 376,000 overtime hours, which was 18% lower than the same period in 2014 and 16% over plan. Approximately, 24,000 hours were associated with heightened security activities and are fully grant reimbursable. When excluding these hours, Public Safety continued to manage to total workload hours.
- The ARFF cadre continues to exhibit lower than planned productivity, resulting in 20,000 hours over plan. Compared to the same period in 2014, the ARFF cadre experienced a 34% increase in unplanned absences.
- Total police and ARFF overtime expenses were $54 million, or $500,000, over plan.
STATUS OF MITIGATION STRATEGIES
- As we progress into 2015, Departments were tasked to continue being prudent in using their annual overtime allocations, and are expected to work collaboratively to identify creative solutions to mitigate root causes of overtime.
- Departmental Mitigation Plans
- The Agency is advancing the “stop-gap” Electrician Familiarity Training (EFT) program, which is designed to help mitigate agency electrician staff attrition, and to comply with the growing electrical workload at airport facilities.
- The PATH Workload studies have been launched and are ongoing. The first project is underway at PATH’s Power, Signals, & Communications Division to determine appropriate staffing levels and productivity assumptions for seventeen job titles that are key drivers of overtime.
- Integrated Absence Management
- • The Integrated Absence Program continues to help reduce the average days lost per employee. Compared to the baseline period (June 2013 through May 2014) preceding the implementation of the program, the agency’s average lost days per employee due to sick decreased by 9% and by 10.7% for Injury-on-Duty (IOD), respectively.
- Office of Medical Services (OMS) will continue to reinforce compliance with the 24/7 Absence Call Center as well as coordination with nurse case management to provide immediate tracking of each absence.
- Peer Agency Benchmarking
- The Agency recently completed a comprehensive benchmarking effort of civilian overtime performance and practices employed by regional and national peer public transportation agencies. Of the twenty-one agencies that were contacted, twelve provided responses.
- Based on the preliminary results, opportunities were identified for improvement of the Agency’s program, although overall, the Agency’s approach appears to be consistent with the overtime budgeting, planning, monitoring, and management practices of peer agencies.
Overtime Hours, 2nd Quarter 2015
Overtime Hours, 1st Quarter 2015
Overtime Hours, 4th Quarter 2014
Overtime Hours, 3rd Quarter 2014
Overtime Hours, 2nd Quarter 2014
Overtime Hours, 1st Quarter 2014
Overtime Hours, 4rd Quarter 2013
Overtime Hours, 3rd Quarter 2013
Overtime Hours, 2nd Quarter 2013
Overtime Hours, 1st Quarter 2013
Overtime Hours, 4th Quarter 2012
Overtime Hours, 3rd Quarter 2012
Overtime Hours, 2nd Quarter 2012
Overtime Hours, 1st Quarter 2012