Elevator & Escalator Safety
When using escalators or elevators, be careful and safe to avoid accidents.
Respect the Elevator
- Keep hands and feet out of closing doors.
- Take care with loose clothing.
Respect the Escalator
- Hold the handrail.
- Face forward. Do not ride backwards.
- Take care with loose clothes and foam footwear.
- If you wear bifocals, make sure to focus before stepping on the escalator.
- The center of the step is safest. Stay away from the sides.
- No strollers, luggage carts, or hand trucks on the escalator.
- Do not run on the escalator.
- Do not ride the escalator with bare feet.
- Do not ride the escalator with untied laces.
- Do not stop at the top of the escalator. Keep moving when you reach the top of the escalator, as there are others behind you.
Visit our Elevator & Escalator Status page so you may plan accordingly.
For the current status of any elevator or escalator on PATH, please call