Safety & Security
The Port Authority is committed to the safety and security of our facilities and the customers who use them. Security at PATH is a multifaceted effort that includes deployment of Port Authority Police, employee security awareness training, enhanced Closed Circuit Television, K-9 units and other security measures. These measures are similar to those being taken by other transit agencies nationwide and continue to be enhanced.
To report suspicious activity, please contact the Port Authority Police Department at 800 828-PAPD (7273).
Lost and Found Information
Lost items are sent to the PATH Police Desk, which is located at:
Journal Square PATH Station
Monday - Saturday, 9 am - 5 pm
Lost and found items are kept at the PATH Police desk for 90 days. After 90 days they are subject to auction.
PATH Safety and Regulations
- Eating, drinking, or smoking is prohibited.
- Photographing or taking motion pictures of the PATH system is prohibited unless permission has been obtained.
- Solicitation of money is prohibited.
- Use of a musical instrument, music player, or any other device is prohibited unless used with earphones audible only to the user.
- Unconfined animals except seeing eye dogs or other assistance animal are prohibited.
- Use of skateboards, skates, bicycles, scooters, or any other vehicles or device, except a wheelchair or other ambulatory device assisting a disabled person, is prohibited in the system.
- Use of gas powered vehicles is prohibited.
- While waiting for the train, please stand back from the platform edge.
- Although stairs are constructed with anti-slip material, use caution when stairs are wet. Use handrails at all times.
- Do not run in stations or trains or on platforms.
- Avoid any wet areas and report its location to PATH staff.
- For assistance at the stations, ask PATH staff or use a passenger assistance phone.
- Please use all available seats and stand clear of the doors to allow passengers to enter and exit.
- Do not lean against the doors.
- To alert the crew of a problem, push a Passenger Alert button, which are located near each side door of the car. Open the cover and press the button.
- In the event of an emergency, follow instructions from the train crew or emergency personnel.
- The side windows may be used as emergency exits. For your safety, please do not exit through side windows unless PATH personnel instruct you or danger is imminent.
- Use the handrail to help you keep your balance.
- Do not walk on escalators.
- Always hold children by the hand. Don't allow children to sit or play on an escalator.
- Emergency stop buttons are located at the top and bottom of escalators.
- Do not bring freight or large or heavy packages that could cause injury to others or place unnecessary stress on the equipment.