Work Already Under Way on Third Quarter Milestones That Will Bring Most of Western Half of WTC Site Up to Street Level
The Port Authority today released its latest quarterly milestone report announcing that it has met 19 of 20 second-quarter 2009 rebuilding milestones. Milestones for the second quarter included: the installation of more than 2,400 tons of steel for the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, the equivalent of 20 Statues of Liberty; the installation of 1,250 cubic yards of concrete - the equivalent of six miles of New York City sidewalk - bringing the plaza and main entrance of One World Trade Center to street level; and, competitively bid one of the largest and most critical work packages for the World Trade Center Transportation Hub.
The one missed milestone - Complete Approximately Half of Sector 3A Steel over the PATH Line - is substantially complete and will not affect the project’s critical path.
The bistate agency also announced today that it has begun work to meet 24 third-quarter milestones, which will bring most of the western half of the site up to street level for the first time.
The work completed to date and in the coming quarter will allow 9/11 family members to walk out onto the Memorial Plaza for the first time during this September’s anniversary. The Port Authority is partnering with the Memorial Foundation and the City of New York on the detailed logistics of that day.
The major milestones were established as part of the World Trade Center Assessment, a comprehensive review of all of the major public projects on the World Trade Center site. It was released last October. The Port Authority has since been issuing quarterly reports so the public can track the rebuilding progress and challenges.
Today’s report can be found at www.wtcprogress.com
Highlights for the third quarter include: the second-to-last installation of structural steel for the entire 9/11 Memorial; the installation of steel columns that will support the WTC Transportation Hub’s roof over the PATH tracks, as well as a major Hub contract for the construction of Greenwich Street and the permanent support of the No. 1 subway line; and, the completion of the street-level plaza that surrounds One World Trade Center. The report also lists 19 milestones the agency has set for the fourth quarter of this year.
Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, “We’re pleased that the site’s public projects continue to move forward on schedule. We’re already hard at work to achieve milestones for the third quarter and we’re continuing to tackle the rebuilding challenges that lie ahead.”
Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, “The rebuilding is on track and this report tells us we are hitting the milestones to keep it on schedule. But we have some critical milestones coming up so we need to continue working aggressively to make sure we hit each one of them.”
The major milestones met by the Port Authority are: World Trade Center Transportation Hub:
National September 11 Memorial & Museum:
- Begin 9A Underpass Excavation for East-West Corridor.
- Complete Concrete Placement on All Sectors of the Fulton Street Deck.
- Bid out Early Action Work Packages to Support Steel Erection.
- Complete Fabrication of the Remaining Calatrava Arches for the East-West Connector.
- Take PATH Platform A and Tracks 1 and 2 Out of Service.
One World Trade Center:
- Complete Pavilion Interior Design.
- Complete Approximately Half of Sector 3A steel over the PATH Line - Substantially Complete.
- Complete Sector 4 steel.
- Turn over Sectors 2 and 3 to the Concrete Subcontractor.
- Begin Concrete Operations on Interior of Memorial.
- Activate North Lift Complex and Install South Lift Complex.
Vehicle Security Center and Tour Bus Parking Facility
- North Core Shear Wall Complete to B-1.
- South Core Crane Jump.
- Finish Concrete Placement on the #2 - Auxiliary Shear Wall.
- Complete First of Three Sections of Cutback on the Vesey Street Deck.
(In our last quarterly report, the title of this milestone had a typo and was missing the preposition “of.” There are three sections of Vesey Street and this milestone included finishing the first of those sections, not all sections).
- Complete Slurry Panels 1-4 and 8.
- Assemble and Activate Slurry Plant.
- Complete Trenching and Installation of Buttress Guide Walls.
- Phase I Excavation & Bracing
- Top-Down Contract for Greenwich Street Out to Bid.
In addition to meeting these construction milestones, in the past quarter the Port Authority also achieved the following:
- Erection of steel for the National September 11 Memorial & Museum is more than 70 percent complete.
- More than 5,000 cubic yards of concrete was placed for the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, which required more than 500 concrete trucks to deliver to the site.
- Completed steel in Sector 4 that consisted of more than 2,400 tons - the equivalent of almost 20 Statues of Liberties.
- Put out to bid one of the most critical work packages - Greenwich Street/Underpinning of No. 1 Subway Line.
- Completed the concrete slab above the East-West Connector section that supports the future Fulton Street. More than 2,100 cubic yards of concrete was poured.
- Over 7,000 cubic yards of superstructure concrete was poured in the second quarter including the largest single concrete placement on the site to date - 1,250 cubic yards of concrete to bring the southwest plaza area of One World Trade Center up to street level. (Overall on the site, 13,000 cubic yards of concrete was placed - equivalent to a sidewalk stretching from New York City to Stewart Airport 65 miles away in Newburgh, N.Y.).
- Erected the third tier of the perimeter columns for One World Trade Center. All 25 of the columns now extend above street level.
- Developed proactive strategy to mitigate delays from the ongoing demolition of the former Deutsche Bank building.
Prospective 3rd Quarter 2009 milestones: World Trade Center Transportation Hub
National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Begin Platform Column Foundations (to be completed by end of 4Q 2009).
- Fulton Street Slab Available for Access.
- Early Action Packages Awarded.
- Complete Level C Tiebacks (H&M Station).
- Notice to Proceed - Construction Management Contract.
- Structures to Grade Package Out to Bid.
- Award and Issue a Notice to Proceed on the Top-Down Contract.
- Complete Installation of the 8 Additional Arches along the East-West Connector.
- Demolish 286 & 266 slabs (H&M Station).
World Trade Center Vehicle Security Center and Tour Bus Parking Facility
- Complete Erection of Sector 3 Steel.
- Complete Sector 5 Steel Erection.
- Award Pavilion Structural Steel.
- Award Pavilion Curtain Wall.
- Complete Counterfort Wall behind Exposed Slurry Wall.
- Award Drywall/Carpentry Package.
- Complete Sector 2 Concrete.
One World Trade Center
- 130 Liberty Street Deconstruction Complete (by LMDC).
- Finish Slurry Panels along West Street.
- Complete Work Around Design for 130 Liberty.
- Concrete Slabs to Grade Substantially Complete.
- Place Concrete at Shear Walls - 1st lift Above Ground.
- Complete Demolition