The truck replacement program was open to new applications from 2010 to 2013. As a result of this program, the Port Authority succeeded in disbursing all of the federal grant money to replace a total of 429 old, dirty trucks, which were scrapped and replaced with newer, cleaner, more fuel-efficient trucks.
To reduce diesel truck emissions while improving health and safety, the Port Authority implemented a plan to phase out older trucks that serve its marine terminals.
As of January 1, 2011, port drayage trucks equipped with engines Model Year 1993 and older have been denied access the Port Authority’s marine terminals. In addition, starting January 1, 2017, only trucks equipped with engines that meet or exceed engine Model Year 2007 federal emission standards will be allowed access to these same facilities.
To assist the transition, The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey implemented its Regional Truck Replacement Program (TRP). This program has been an important component of the Clean Air Strategy for the Port of New York and New Jersey.
The TRP replaced trucks that had engines Model Year 2003 or older with trucks equipped with Model Year 2004 or newer EPA emissions-compliant engines. The program made available grants and financing to eligible truck owners. The grants and financing were used to purchase the stipulated newer, cleaner, and more environmentally-friendly trucks.
Eligible applicants received a grant that covers up to 25 percent of the purchase price of a newer truck. And if needed, they received low-interest financing on the remaining 75 percent.
Independent owner operators or licensed motor carriers that owned port drayage trucks with engines Model Year 2003 and older that frequently served the port, and who agreed to continue to service the port with the replacement truck for five years.
Qualified applicants received multiple benefits by participating in the TRP. These benefits included:
For a limited time, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey’s Regional Truck Loan and Retrofit Program and ACCION USA will provide free retrofit equipment. Also, eligible truck owners may receive low-interest financing (available on a first-come, first-serve basis) to help purchase or refinance cleaner and more environmentally-friendly trucks.
About the Truck Loan and Retrofit Program
The Truck Loan and Retrofit Program is an important component of the Clean Air Strategy for the Port of New York and New Jersey. It aims to provide low interest loans and free retrofit equipment to trucks that have engines Model Year 2004-2006.
The purpose is to reduce diesel emissions from trucks and improve local and regional air quality while also improving the health of those who live and work in communities near the port.
For licensed motor carriers and independent owner operators servicing the Port Authority’s marine terminals,The Regional Truck Loan and Retrofit Program will provide an opportunity to:
Who is Eligible
Independent owner operators and licensed motor carriers who
CONTACT ACCION USA at 646-833-4543 for more information.
Funding the Loan and Retrofit Program
Thanks to the support of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) under the Smartway Program, the Port Authority and ACCION USA have received a total of $750K in grant funding to implement the Port Authority’s Truck Loan and Retrofit Program to provide port truck owners with financial incentives to replace their older trucks with newer, less polluting vehicles.
|Scrap Yard||Contact Name||Phone Numbers||Address|
|A&A Truck Parts Inc.||Thom Kirwan||(732) 620-5195||80 Hendrickson Rd.
Freehold, NJ 07728
|Bernie Enterprises||Ed George
|1930 Rt. 309
Coopersburg, PA 18036
|Brookfield Resource Management||Tim Malone
|(914) 592-5250||100 Lamont Street,
Elmsford, NY 10523
|Camp Auto & Truck Parts, Inc.||Don Campanello Jr.||(973) 694-6698||9 Whitmore Ave
Wayne, NJ 07470
|Cinelli Iron & Metal||Michael A. Valenti||(201) 348-8680
(201) 376 5143
|310 Secaucus Rd.
Secaucus, NJ 07094
|King Parts Auto Wreckers||David W. Beier||(732) 329-2639||205 Culver Road
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852
|SIMS Metal Management||Drew Nichols||(973) 344-4570||1 Linden Street
Jersey City, NJ 07305
As of January 1, 2011, all Class 8 Drayage Trucks seeking entry onto any Port Authority Terminal must be registered in the Port Truck Pass registry.
M-F 8 AM - 4 PM (EST)